Monday 17 October 2016

Be Careful What You Wish For

It has been approximately eight months since my last blog entry. This might have something to do with the fact that my firstborn is now ten developmental months (forty weeks old). Juno was right when she speculated that babies were "quite the time suck." It has also been seven years since I have moved back to Trinidad and six years living in the same apartment. I think it is safe to say that we don't go more than a month without having some sort of issue related to our rental. BC (before child) my husband, chihuahua and I were a lot more tolerant of the constant issues. We also love our location so we would continue to put up with the *insert expletive*. Life goes on...

Aside from the reality that I do live on an island, I am particularly fair skinned and motherhood just took that to a whole new level. I think I'm usually somewhere between egg shell and alabaster. Now, I do believe in The Secret and the power of the Universe. Not to the extent of those idiotic girls who got a show on the E channel and were part of the Bling Ring who robbed Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton and some other "talented" celebs. But, I do think there is some truth to what you put out "there" is what you attract. So in true "Secret" form I visualized sun. I had been out of practice for a while and forgot to visualize exactly what it was that I wanted.

My husband took a business trip and my mom filled in to help with baby. She brought some Starbucks coffee (instant). Yes, we finally got a Starbucks in Trinidad but they don't sell the Via Instant. My husband bought some ground Starbucks coffee for me before he left. I asked them over the phone why they didn't sell the instant. They replied that they didn't think it would sell, but would now think about it. So if we do get the instant packets, I will take full credit for that.

Low and behold, week one went well.

Week two: Mother drops wedding ring down bathroom sink. No problem. Thanks to endless plumbing issues, I got this! Retrieved in under a minute. Then, the kitchen sinks back up. Husband had thrown out plunger but not replaced it. *Insert another expletive* I purchase another, stand up on the kitchen counter and use my body weight to plunge the double sink. Nothing. It was a Friday, and mind you, in the fifth world I might get a plumber on Monday. So for the weekend, I toted draining boards full of dishes out to the hose down by the pool to wash my dishes in true ghetto form. But guess what I got? A semi tan! Thanks universe.

Then, after six years of shady electricians provided by angelic landlord and insanely high electricity bills, we find out that we have been paying for an outdated water heater that works overtime, not only for our apartment but also for the one below *more expletives.* We decide to confront the landlord about our electricity bill that is half the amount of our rent. He was away and unwilling to do anything about it until his return. Normal scene. I put it out "there" again that this situation would be over. Thanks to the universe, the water heater just stopped working. So I guess that took care of that. Cold showers morning, noon and night for me and baby. *Double expletive*. We will never ever ever ever ever see a dime of that money back. But his Rolls Royce, Bentley and several Mercedes are safely parked in his covered garage.

Just when I was about to grab our passports and set fire to the rain, my husband brought back enough Starbucks instant coffee to last me until I return to the U.S.A. one fine day.

So, I took a cold *triple expletive* shower ...

and had a latte (instantly).

#trinidad #landlord #starbucks #coffee #baby

No comments:

Post a Comment