Tuesday 20 August 2013

Things I Remember That I Can't Forget



In the third grade we were individually required to write and publish a book. All this really meant is that the book would be covered in a semi hardcover fashionable fabric, typed, illustrated by yours truly, bound and stamped with a shiny gold seal. This is when my two bestsellers were written. “The Cat who had no Claws” debuted on my parents’ mantle for the while right next to “The Girl With Too Many Names.” Recently, over a latte I re-read these literary masterpieces. The first book was simply about cat’s struggle to catch and eat birds without the necessary claws. The latter, however was about a girl who just had TOO many names. This poor girl would have to recite these names every time she was asked what her name was. The other side of the problem, she had to be called by ALL of these names or she would not respond. One name (that I had given her) really caught my eye. “Speakeasy.” I had never heard this word before or even said it, but I liked the way it sounded. Ironic that a girl with so many names could speak….easy (or easily to be grammatically correct.) By definition a speakeasy is a (noun) saloon or nightclub selling alcoholic beverages illegally, especially during Prohibition. Why on Earth? I truly think that I had just made it up and it just so happened to be a real word. Once in college I had seen my American History professor grading our essays over a pint (or two) in the campus bar. Needless to say I received an A on that paper, yet today, I shamefully retain little to no American History. I pictured my third grade teacher editing this book over a glass of wine putting huge red check marks all over the page. This led me to another image of Ralphie’s teacher in his own daydream correcting his composition on the Red Ryder BB Gun that he so desperately wanted for Christmas.

That particular third grade teacher did in fact tell me that I had a “gift” for writing. I never forgot that. Every single time I wrote any piece of creative writing I thought of it. 

In middle school, I went on to place 3rd in the 4H Tropicana Speech contest where I wrote a heavily embellished piece on my home country Trinidad (The Emerald Isle) Uh what?  It was all very encyclopedia researched since in 1993 Trinidad might as well have been Tanzania to my classmates. 
"Mom, there's nothing in the encyclopedia about Trinidaddddd!" This was still a time where students used the public library, their parents Encyclopedia Britannica set and their elders for historical information. 

The Second Place winner wrote about her home country, Columbia, and said a few words in Spanish. What? We didn't know she could speak Spanish........AMAZING! 

The first place winner spoke about her native land, England, and pronounced the word “hamburger” in a heavy English accent, which was a crowd favourite, and the auditorium erupted in laughter. Cheap shot Jemma, we all know Americans LOVE hamburgers :)

Today’s positive note:

Children want to hear that they’ve done well. Of all the words you share with the little people make them worthwhile.

Other unforgettable sayings/quotes I remember:

Fork on the left  ------------when setting a table

Lefty loosey, righty tighty -------------------when unscrewing/tightening anything

Right on red ----------------------------ONLY in the states

“Why is the carpet all WET Todd?” ------------National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

“He’ll keep calling me, he’ll keep calling me ‘till I come over” --------------------Cameron sitting in his car stewing whether or not to go to Ferris Bueller’s house. 
 Seems to happen more with age as you consider the logistics of “going out” when you know you’d rather sit at home in pajamas....


……….with popcorn and a LATTE

No comments:

Post a Comment